I’d like to hear from YOU. This past week we explored the “sexual” subtext in Jesus conversation with the woman by the well.
- Warning: You Will Never Read John 4 the Same Way Again!
- The Thing That Happens When Men Meet Women By Wells
- Why We Don’t Talk About That Plot of Ground
- What Do You Mean by “Water?”
Now, I’d like to hear from you. What do YOU think about the issues that have been raised in this series?
- In the first post, I noted the seemingly disjointed topic of the woman’s marital status and noted that it had something to do with John’s description of Jesus as the bridegroom.
- In the second post, I showed how Jesus and the Samaritan woman’s meeting follows the consistent pattern of engagement scenes in the Old Testament.
- In the third post, we looked at how John connects the location of the well to a story of rape and marriage.
- And finally in the last post, I asked if the issue of the woman’s marital status could have arisen because of (a) perceived double-entendre(s).
So here’s my question to YOU. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?
- Is the marital innuendo in the historical situation itself?
- Is it part of the inspired message of John?
- or does it simply arise in the overactive imaginations (or dirty minds) of the readers?
I for one believe it’s both 1 and 2. It’s not without reason that John is known as the Spiritual Gospel.
But you might think its 3. Say so!
If you thinks its 1 or 2 though, tell us what you think John is up to. What spiritual message is he driving at?
What do YOU think? Oh and I’d be glad to take any questions that you might have for me.
This is your chance to write down all those thoughts, feelings and questions you’ve been wrestling with while reading this series. I’d be delighted if you shared them.
NOTE: If you don’t feel comfortable leaving your information, I do allow anonymous posts. But please, please don’t use it as cover to write rude or offensive comments.